I built another set of electronic drums. I did a few things different on this build
I found a 12 and 13″ drums on Ebay. I did things a little different than my first project. This time I used a table saw to cut these toms in half. These are now 4″ tall toms.
I used an 1″ corner brace to support the circle of MDF board.
I used the lower lug screw to attach the L brackets.
I will use some 3/8″ hose for trim on the bottom of the drum.
I cut a slit on one side of the rubber hose and pushed it over the bottom edge of the drum. Stanley hook blades work great for cutting the slit.
I cut a circle slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the drum shell with a router. I also needed to cut notches in the areas of the L brackets.I’m also going to cut some holes in this 3/4″ MDF circle and paint it black.
I cut some evenly spaced 3″ circular holes. I also drilled a 7/8″ hole partially through the MDF and then drilled the rest of the way with a 3/8″ drill bit for the 1/4 Jack.
I painted the inside of the drum shell black and attached the MDF circle to the L brackets from the bottom with screws.
I’m going to use a large flat washer, flat head 1/4″ screw, nuts and washers to make an adjustable sensor support.
Added some 3-M double sided tape to the flat washer. I removed some tape in the area of the screw because the screw was raised slightly higher than the washer. I needed a flat surface.
I added a circle of plastic so I would have a better surface for the piezo sensor.
Added 27 mm piezo sensor, 1.5″ x 1″ x 1″ foam sanding blocks and 1/4 Jack. Made adjustments so the foam block would be 1/8″ above the drum shell rim.There are many listings for piezo sensors on EbayIf you don’t want to use foam blocks. You can also make foam cones from the foam sanding blocks.
I added a mounting bracket. I used this tutorial here. I used thicker wood for these drum mounts.
Put on a DIY mesh head tutorial here